Monday, April 2, 2007

Thing 16

I had no idea what a Wiki was before reading about it in this exercise. I had experience with Wikipedia but never understood the full extent of what Wiki is all about. Even though I am a bit of a stickler for wanting information to be confirmed by a reliable source, I have a great appreciation for Wiki and what it is all about. I believe in the philosophy that "two heads are better than one..." so it would stand to reason that even more heads would be even better, when working toward information-gathering and dissemination. I like the concept of a large group of people collaborating on ideas together, each person bringing in his/her own expertise and varied, updated knowledge.

I really liked the Book Lovers Wiki, developed by Princeton Public. It is cool that site visitors can read not only book content but get personal reviews and ratings.

I also looked at Libraryoutreach Wiki, which seemed a clever way to interact with other librarians, share ideas about outreach programs, etc. It sounds like SJPL is working toward creating something like this which librarians throughout our system can share ideas and strategies on outreach programs and inhouse programs/events, too.

No comments: