Monday, April 2, 2007

Thing 15

I read "Web 2.0" and was fascinated by the "Away from the Iceburgs" and "Into a new world of librarianship" sections/perspectives. I find that it is soooo true that the library is constantly needing to change and adapt with the advances in technology. I couldn't have imagined how much our jobs and how much the needs of the communities would be changing when I first started back in the 80's. I am so glad that we are in an industry that acknowledges (somewhat begrudgingly at times, I'll admit) the continual needs for change. I agree that while it is important to preserve some of the philosophies behind our services, it is equally important to embrace and explore the ever-changing needs of a technologically savvy public. I think that "Learning 2.0" is a wonderful way to introduce SJPL and SJSU staffs to some of the "cutting edge" technologies that are becoming mainstream. And while there are some disadvantages to some of the newer technologies that are out there, there are many, many great things about all the information sharing that is now prevalant.

No comments: